Tag Archives: network

Emacs with Tramp using zsh

First off, I recommend reading the relevant parts of the user manual, you might find the answer there.

Now, to the issue.

I installed tramp and added this to ~/.emacs:

(require 'tramp)
(setq tramp-default-method "scp")

Nothing special here, except it didn’t work. (The message was something like “waiting 60s for local shell”. Of course, I didn’t write it down, and it got lost in the browsing cache.)

So I turned on more verbose debugging, in ~/.emacs also:

(setq tramp-debug-buffer t)
(setq tramp-verbose 10)

The “logs”, mind you, are written into buffers: *debug/scp remotehost* are the messages and *tramp/scp remotehost* is the medium-rare (as compared to raw) data received.

If you open the latter and see characters like ^]]C4 or ^M, then it might be due to the shell prompt setting on the remote host. The manual advises wisely as to what should be considered.

One solution found floating on the internets is checking for the terminal type. Add this to the remote host’s .zshenv:


if [ "$TERM" = "dumb" ]
then
unsetopt zle
unsetopt prompt_cr
unsetopt prompt_subst
# unfunction precmd # these two are not
# unfunction preexec # working for me
PS1='$ '
fi

Also, make sure you’re not re-setting it somewhere else later, say .zshrc. A check should be enough even if you do:

if [ "$TERM" != "dumb" ]; then
# Set prompts
PROMPT='%m%# '
RPROMPT='[%C]'
fi

Mesh routing stuff

http://www.olsr.org/ — olsrd
http://www.open-mesh.net/ — batman
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/babel/ — babel

Note on wireless networking, Windows XP SP2

Did set up an ad-hoc wireless network in Windows, using Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, driver version 11.5.1.15 (released 13-03-2008), and D-Link DWA-110, driver version 1.2.1.0 (released 14-05-2007). NOTE: the latter driver not present on main D-Link site, use the Australian instead.

Using vendor-specific software to manage wireless networks, not Windows-bundled.

So far WEP only, haven’t tried WPA.

No editing of specific wireless communication parameters (B/G filtering, ad hoc channel selection, etc.) was needed. NOTE: the Intel device, even when set channel 11 (default) in “Device Properties”, still tried to use channel 6 when connecting. This wasn’t visible in default Microsoft wireless connection management software, and was only made evident when using Intel’s own.